Sun Apr 4, 2004
This project started in 2004 as a map for Planeta web and their client htwtravel.com and it evolved into a product. It was used by around 30 web sites around the world. I started a full rewrite in ActionScript 3 and about 60 new country maps, but it’s not clear I will finish the new version since I’m now less interested in programming and looking more into education and free software.
It’s has been a moderate success. Many people showed interest and some people bought a copy. But being a one-person team is not easy, and I’m better as a developer than as a marketing / sales person. Everything that follows is copied from my old 314bits.com website where I showed all my work. You can read more details at flashmapa.com.
- Interactive map where the client can add unlimited icons (using a simple backoffice) that represent real world items (hotels in this case).
- Formulas calculate a smooth motion path from country to country.
- Data is stored in compressed XML format, no database required.
- PHP or ASP required only for saving functionality.
- New icons and text formats can be easily added.
Public interface (demo)
The public interface lets you zoom into countries and click icons that link to new web pages. (demo removed)
Back Office (demo)
The back office lets you edit texts and icons. Drag texts and icons from the panel to the map to create new elements. Drag them in the map to move them to a new position. Click them to edit or delete. (demo removed) Zoom into Spain to see many icons.
FlashMapa editable animated map
Add an Interactive Flash Map to your website to show locations around the world or the Balearic islands (more locations to follow):
- location of company offices
- where each user in your online community lives
- data analysis and world information (population, economy, etc.)
- the countries you have visited or photographed.
- location of houses, beaches, golf camps, gas stations, etc.
- Add, change and delete texts and icons easily, with the Flash based Back Office.
- No Flash knowledge required. No database required.
- Ready to use. Have it running in your website in 3 minutes.
- Fully customizable! Change grid color and opacity, background colors, animation speed, country names and colors. You can also create new icons and replace the back button.
- Icons in your map can be linked to any web pages or other (more detailed) maps.
- Some web space with FTP access and PHP 4 or 5 running in the server (if you have a website you probably have these already).
- You should be able to password protect the FlashMapa admin folder in your server (usually done with the control panel of your hosting company)
- You should be able to change directory permissions to make one folder writable (can be done usually with any FTP client).
Due to the amount of work I haven’t been able to launch the new website showing how great FlashMapa is, but the map is already being used in about 20 websites around the world. Will yours be the next?
If you want to be notified when the new website comes out, please send me a message using the Quick Contact form in the main window.